Friday, April 25, 2008

Hyderabad Blues…


Deccan Chargers have disappointed again… They threw away another match in the last over. Now, they are at the bottom of the table after losing all their three matches…

I must admit here that I am not much of a cricket fan. I still feel that it’s a pseudo team game that relies on weird rules and only individual merit. That that’s another debate I would like to avoid, especially today. I think I’m getting into depression!

I have always been a huge fan of Hyderabad. The people there are warm, friendly and welcoming. They are a bit too relaxed, but that I can bear with. I met my wife there; we got married there, and now even buying a home there. I have never felt so much at home in any other part of the country or the world. So, even though I belong from Kerala, studied in Ooty (TN), worked in Delhi and Mumbai, married to a Bengali, I am a Deccan Chargers fan.

Even before the team was announced, I knew that I will always support Hyderabad. And when the team was announced, I was elated! The charging bull, the understated uniforms... Then I looked up the stars of the squad and knew that we had a winner. C’mon, look at the line-up:
Adam Gilchrist – IMHO, the best cricketer in the world,
Shahid Afridi – A top class hitter,
Andrew Symonds – Aggression personified,
Herschelle Gibbs – Reinvented top order batting for South Africa,
Chaminda Vaas – No body invokes more fear in batsmen,
Scott Styris – THE pinch-hitter,
R P Singh – A hugely talented bowler,
VVS Laxman – well…

So, I expected nothing less than dominance from this team. And, I reluctantly became a cricket fan (much to my horror – my dad could disown me if he ever found out!).

As I was chatting with a couple of friends downstairs, I just realized that I could turn suicidal if Hyderabad ever has a Soccer or F1 team… That seems a very distant possibility. For now, I think my longevity is safe. For now, I could use some Valium.

Whatever said, one thing is for sure – Even if they lose all their matches, I’ll be a Deccan Chargers fan. Forever!

All links and images courtesy the official Deccan Chargers site.

8 comments:

Pratibha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Rehne do chicha. Sab chindi chor ki tarah khele. Dil pe kaisa dhakka laga poocho mat. Aisa sharam se gardan jhuka diye apne hyderabad wale (stress on APNE HYDERABAD). Itna galeez nahi hona.

The Walker said...

Khoon ke aasooa roru ji mai bhi... Jab Symonds sabku khoondal, khoondal ke maar ra tha, dal-rice mereku Biriyani-khubaani ka meetha lag ra tha... Howley loga aiseich phenkh diye aakhiri over mei...

Shukriya ji... Aapich mera gham samjhey.

Anonymous said...

Chicha,

Aapke waaste....http://pratibha75.livejournal.com/151505.html

Sue said...

lol at the great hydi-lingo being displayed here.

no wonder, by the time the third match arrived, most of the hyderabadis were cheering for the other team.... Deccan Chargers really have no fans left, except you.

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Please make that George and me. There are still the two of use left.

Anonymous said...

hehehe...amma bawa pukaar lere ustaad tum..you sure dig Hydbadi lingo..for sure...

Anonymous said...

Deccan team ko khundal khundal ke mar re.